April 18, 2012

stretching legs and hearts in Montreal

I've been neglectful of updating on our lives, it's true. Life gets in the way of writing! Too much living to take the time for updates.

This trip to Montreal has been a ton of fun. Finally a few quiet moments when the sisters are out shopping St-Catherines and Jude fell into heavy sleep on the ride home, barely letting me carry his sleeping body into bed without waking up. But he stayed asleep, jean jacket and fully clothed, snuggled under blankets with his bear and full dreams.

The train chugged out Tuesday night, with family galore seeing us off at the station. Minutes before boarding I realized we'd forgotten Baby Bear and had no stuffies at all along for the trip. How awful! Two weeks away from home and his papa, without his bear along to cuddle and fix booboos. Mind calculating distances, I jumped in the car and raced home to grab him, happy we only live minutes from the station. Thank goodness! Grabbed the kids and a million bags and headed eastwards.

Another beautiful vacation rental, a gorgeous brownstone walkup in Atwater. Wood floors, lots of space for kids and friends, a huge enclosed balcony that looks out either side. It's the first time I've stayed outside of downtown or with family while visiting Mtrl and I LOVE it! Residential side by sides, a random mix of students, migrants, families living so close. It's lovely, we chat with neighbours across streets and balconies. Pricy condos sit next to graffitied lower income housing. It's a mix! Makes you realize how segregated we are in Winnipeg, both with distance of private housing and little reason to be in contact with neighbours. And socio-economically!! You would never find the utterly random mix of high/low class, incomes, backgrounds, etc within the same residential area in Winnipeg.

I am also driving in Montreal, EEeeee! Thank GOD I came with a GPS generously lent to us by friends because I would never attempt navigating and driving Montreal streets at once. GPS has been a lifesaver, knowing one-way streets and automatically recalculating routes once we diverge from the planned path (often!). I even ended up driving the autoroutes accidentally, with only myself and Jude in the car. My heart pounding as traffic poured around me, flying through tunnels and around curves, we both squealed as I did it and felt totally exhilarated. Parallel parking is for sure a necessary skill living in Montreal. Parking both side of the street, sorely testing my poor parallel parking skills. And being the only driver for our rented Jetta, I've had some stress but am doing it!!

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment