August 3, 2010

creativity

Intense creativity, too many new ideas and nowhere close to enough time in the day to blog about it. The last six weeks I have been overloaded with ideas for projects that may end up consuming me over the next year. First I've decided to put on a recital. Wanting both a chance to perform and a reason to practice pieces to perfection, I thought about putting on an evening at my parent's house. They have a beautiful piano that was bought four years ago and hardly gets played. Although I still play at home from time to time, it usually sits quiet and unused. I thought of inviting family and a few friends for an evening of music then mingling and drinks afterwards... It should be a really great time. However, this means I need to practice at least twice a week intensively in order to hope to be ready to play an hour in front of an audience in four months. At least that is a pleasurable thing to schedule in, although it has been so long since I've prepared to play in public or to be judged. I have this fear of judgment that used to be so evident during the Dauphin Performing Arts Festival when I would compete. Every year I would play in at least 3 categories and maybe even more, and also would do my examination to pass another grade. I love and loved playing piano but these were such stressful times. I would practice for months in preparation and would mount the steps onto the stage in nervousness of making a mistake or losing my focus. Especially since we were expected to memorize our pieces and that was not my forte. I ended up using my book more than a few times usually not feeling able to play without the security of notes in front of me. We were docked marks for using the music but I knew when I oculdn't perform without it.

So this is a major step for me. I've hardly played in public at all over the last ten years. Chris hears me play often and I've played for family and friends who ask. But overall I play for myself, which is great but sometimes I'd like to play seriously and not just play around.

So the practicing has started, I've made a guest list and have an idea of the invitation. It should be a small affair, 20-30 people max and a nice mix of my friends, family and people important to my parents. I'm excited for it but definitely will need to work my butt off to be ready for that. And hopefully lose my nervousness after a couple pieces. I will definitely be asking for quiet while I play.






Apart from that, I have two other major ideas I've thought of an are trying to figure out how to develop. I'm not quite ready to share yet but hopefully in the next few months I'll be working on them too. It's an exciting burst of creativity that I'm experiencing over the last couple months. More thoughts on that later as well. Do I have any cute pictures to share from the past little bit? I realize I've been lax about writing but there haven't been enough hours in a day. Soon, soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment