August 30, 2010

do fun stuff - a cause!

Ever since I started writing my own blog I became somewhat of a lurker on other amazing blogs. There are too many great ones out there that I would end up dedicating all my time to internet lurking so I've limited myself to only regularly reading the ones I love. One of these is Pacing the Panic Room.

I first became acquainted with Ryan and his adorable family through a maternity series he did for his wife Cole. It got some great publicity online as well as through American Apparel. Apart from his incredible photography (a vision! his own! which is refreshing to see) and parallels to my life- his first daughter was born on the same day as Jude and I've enjoyed watching them grow at the same time, hitting milestones within days of each other, hearing of their brand new gardening adventures and family adjustments. Ryan intensely loves his family, his state, his work, and regardless of what he writes about I always leave with something. A new artist to check out, a different perspective, some gorgeous photos to ogle....

One struggle I can't relate to is the work his stepson (Cole's firstborn) has to do. During her pregnancy with Tessa, they finally got a diagnosis for him. Smith Magenis Syndrome, a condition about which very little is known and little support is available for families struggling through it. Being a dreamer he reached big and is trying to do something about it.

There is an album! It is fantastic! Do Fun Stuff is a project involving loads of indie bands that wrote songs and donated their time to create this album of kids music that parents will enjoy too. I'm telling you, I ardently tried not to like it. I bought it, to support Ryan and his family, and I figured I would play it for Jude and he would enjoy it. But I've found myself playing the album repeatedly over the last few days just because I love it and it is so catchy. Try Biscuits (but watch the youtube video because it is the cutest thing in the world - Biscuits Video). Or Always a Blue Sky by Rabbit. Or Nothing. Actually, they are all super good.

Buy this album please! Buy it to support a family doing everything they can to help their son. Buy it for yourself, buy it if you have a friend with kids or if you love indie music. Pass it on! Maybe something great will happen because you decided to spend $10 on a super great album. 100% of the proceeds goes into a grant fund which is available to grad students who choose SMS as their field of choice. It will be used for research into SMS of which there is currently little known.

I've just heard that Ryan will be making this a yearly project and is already at work on volume 2. I can't wait!

Do Fun Stuff Vol 1 is available on ITunes. Or click here Do Fun Stuff and follow the link at the bottom that says buy this album on ITunes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment