May 12, 2010

montreal

Yet another travel to log in for Jude's first year. He's travelled by plane, train and automobile (ha) and proudly bears a passport. Without going into the ridiculous, he doesn't have many modes of travel left to try other than boat. We did come up with submarine, hot air balloon and kite board.... who knows he may become a daredevil traveler later on in life!

Was a great trip by train, using my via connections to get on the train early and put Jude to bed. Regardless he woke up at 10 and was just too excited to go back to sleep. A new place, new sounds and grandpa here? What's this all about?? Dad and I shared a bottle of red wine to toast our departure and once we started moving, we turned off the lights and cuddled bebe as the lights of the city retreated. He became heavier and heavier until finally we moved back and drifted off together.

This new (or new to me) train schedule means we really only spend one day on the train so it passed so quickly. Including a two hour nap in the afternoon, I felt like we ate all day and spent the rest exploring the train and visiting with friends. My super good friend Celindy was serving the dining car - even though we were supposed to eat in the front we switched to her diner once we got on.

A quick transfer to the Montreal train and first class meant free booze and meals. Initially we weren't sat together for lack of seats - I thought it wouldn't be a problem to switch aisle for aisle seat until we got on and I found out that I had been sat in a four seater, with three young poker playing boozers. Great! What a match. Before we had even pulled out from the station they were pooring vodka into their juices under the table. Thank goodness there were no-shows and the SM moved us into some better seats.

Soon we pulled into Montreal station and my dad's cousin was ready to pick us up. In the last four days we've hit up the metro every day to visit my grandpa, uncle and aunt, play in the park, walk Rue St-Catherines, shop Eaton's Centre, eat at Dilallo's Burgers and La Banquise (poutine mecca), stroll my dad's old neighbourhood and take in the Bodies Exhibition.

Bodies was incredible, fascinating, informative and unexpected. No cameras allowed and part of that allows you to be totally surprised by what they show you (why I don't want to say too much). But my dad, at 54 years old, said he learned so much about our bodies that he never knew and I can admit the same.

Tomorrow we will go to Vieux Montreal and see Totem, the newest Cirque du Soleil show. All the Montrealers are raving about it which tells me something, since they are always able to take in shows. It's not like Winnipeg where we've only started to host the traveling shows and are easily impressed. Hopefully Jude will have a good nap during the day, and not be too scared by the noise.

A demain!

No comments:

Post a Comment