January 26, 2011

this child of mine


Has a mouthful of teeth, pointy and sharp. The toothy grin changed his whole face and come in useful for fun activities like grinding them together to make cool sounds... prying lids off of containers and boxes... sinking teeth into deliciously fleshy body parts such as my bum... We've been working on no biting for months now, the excitement overwhelming his body and I'm sure it feels good in his mouth. Not so good for us! He'll now cover his head with a blanket or shirt before coming at us, thinking if we don't see him advancing mouth open for a big chomp perhaps he won't get into trouble. I shove a hand between his mouth and my thigh "Don't bite mama!" to head him off before it comes, twist and contort to escape his surprisingly strong grasp. We remind him that it hurts and say Ouch strongly enough to get the message across yet not excitedly enough to make it seem a fun game... He doesn't bite other children or even other people so I know it's an expression of love and excitement with the people he trusts the most. But OUCH! He discovered my bum lately as I stand in the bathroom getting ready for the day I feel little hands tapping at it, pinching it gently, head butting the soft surface and then the mouth comes sneaking in. "Jude No! Don't bite, that hurts me!" His mouth turns into a questioning pout - but I want to mama! Eyes squinting up at me, a standoff between us. Luckily for today a truck distracts until the next time want overwhelms him.

What other things has he been doing lately? Burrowing under blanket like a rabbit. Making funny faces at us and coming up to pull our faces into whatever shape he wants. Snaking an arm up against my face and his other arm alongside papa's face to push us in together for a kiss (that is the sweetest thing in the world!). Playing with his trucks and farm animals by himself, knowing what he wants to do and figuring out how they all work. Reading reading reading and reading (this boy loves his books! We could read for hours each day without getting bored). Robert Munsch and Little Critter and Franklin mixed in with our bedtime favorites Time for Bed and Winken Blinken and Nod. He knows when those come out, the last two stories before bath, his head snuggled back into my arms as familiar words wash over his tired head.

I love bedtime. To hold him as he falls into sleep, complete openness and vulnerability. His face relaxes and tired eyes fight for one last look, his arm wrapped around my neck breath slowing into slumber. When the last vestiges of energy have faded and his mouth sits partly open breathing heavily. I could hold him in sleep for hours, watching.






We made a snow table.... hours of fun

No comments:

Post a Comment