January 18, 2011

This Tuesday feels like a Wednesday

Ran around town all day finishing up all the short errands that pile up during blizzard hibernations, the yard covered in three feet of snow at least. Thinking if I were a kid I'd put on my snow pants, tunnel through the yard making snow angels, building forts. Cheeks reddening brightly while flakes cling to eyelashes and melt on contact. It may not be just the adult part of me that stops from leaping into snowbanks, the -43 temperatures not helping us enjoy these winter days. I've been pushing out to rejoin the world, the retreat from it chosen and forced weighing my feet cast in cement. But we left to visit the lovely Mikaela and Henry who breathed fresh air into our lives (this photo from back in the spring, before the boys were little men running our world)


Hit up the super great Scott Ramos from Berns and Black Salon to refresh my hair and chat ghosts and photography, travels and gifting and how he clones Winnipeggers into his own style (my words, not his!). Spent time at the union executive meeting with some dedicated, activists who tirelessly do the work. Had my third photography class and we showed our pics for the first time. Interesting to see what everyone comes up with, how creative (or not), how when folks shoot what they love it's so apparent in the shot. We missed Jeffrey sitting up front this week, our usual whispered commentary and obvious checking out of the instructor extra spice to help keep awake after we start lagging by breaktime. I realized the first class that these days, I'm usually in pyjamas relaxing in the glow of a computer by 8 most nights, yawning heavily by partway through the our Monday night class. I am in good company though, most of the moms and others copping to tired heads fighting sleep fog descending. I guess we're almost halfway through our eight classes... Have intentions of posting pics from last weeks roadtrip through southern manitoba with Kate getting shots for class but I've worried lately about photo ownership when you post on blogs. I know I won't put my work up on facebook essentially giving them rights to own and sell and use my photos in any way. But here, not sure whether I have protection or should be watermarking stuff... Anyone know?

Busier days for sure and it helps although I work hard to start moving. An object settled in place. The beautiful Amanda who guides us in yoga at Bluemoon started a 30 day photo challenge (see the topics here). I think I might start it, starting the hardest point and then the expectation of needing to keep it up. I might tweak the rules to accommodate what I need, extra time, maybe using pictures I already have? Is that allowed? It is now :)

Starting the hardest point of writing as well.. I opened blogger so many times to let my fingers fly over keys, the words emptying out clearing room behind my heart. But the first sentence didn't pour easily and I couldn't start.



I love this so much... Another project in the wings is a joint music video blog with Chris, since we love checking out new vids and discovering new groups. Too many things waiting for time, and motivation. Photo projects and sewing projects and neverending guilt for not doing enough of them.

I sat alone in Mondragon listening to Anthony Sweet softly croon, catching up on Macleans on ragged comfy chairs, chill from the window not enough to drive me further loving meager sunlight and Winnipeg boots entering briskly for hot vegan soups and hearty eats. I am enjoying this life and stolen moments of self. 

3 comments:

  1. Love the wandering, breathlessness of this. Reflective of the hum of adulthood, that aftermath of angels and forts. Stolen moments of self indeed.

    Pleased to have found my way here to your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried like a little baby at the end of that video. Beautiful!

    Chantal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say-rah!
    What a lovely post. You know what the best thing about the photo challenge is? You can start anytime and you don't have to write anything! I love that part. When you are off the hook from writing and let the pictures speak for itself (or hold its silence), sometimes the words just sneak out and then flow. You know?

    Either way, I like it here, at your blog.
    Your weekend sounded pretty awesome.
    x

    ReplyDelete