March 3, 2011

three to seven

i took my camera with me on this trip to vancouver. Left saturday morning, turning my six day work stretch into a nine day odyssey. A great trip, however.

three - best friend and five reasons why

Chris is my absolute best friend. Apart from spending the last ten years entrenched in each others lives separately and together, he still smiles at me from his heart and we grow together to accommodate how each other changes. He is an amazing dad, a great friend and he won't allow me to watch Gossip Girl or America's Next Top Model without him, can debate fashion merits as easily as politics, is smart and interested in new ideas and encourages me to be the most amazing person i can. I feel pretty lucky to have found such a good match so early in life. I love you my closest friend :) on the day i took this we hadn't seen each other for 24 hours already and i left on the train in the morning while he was away for a 15 hour day...



four - romance

I think the train is romance. the movement and clatter of wheels on tracks, rolling past corners of canada and through people's lives smoothly. the stories i hear. the inspiration of the rail life, the music and connections forged through travels and discussion. it lifts you above the mundane to notice intimate moments, to share important times with others.


five - something that scares me

the dark. i used to read horror and horrifically detailed true crime novel. I'd soak it up reading voraciously, learning about the human mind as it's most base instincts and flawed actions. then i'd worry about someone lurking around the corner, unseen under cover of darkness. I'd worry when there was empty space behind me (as in now, at the computer with my back to the room. Damn it!). a continuation of believing in monsters under my bed as a child, leaping from the bed at least three feet out when I had to get out in the night, sleeping back against the wall, more space between me and the edge of the bed... I don't watch scary movies much anymore and avoid the csi and law and order type shows that make me hardened.


 six - freedom

freedom here is anonymity. big city life roaming alleys and skies, unchained by scheduling or life expectations, being open to seeing the world just as it is. i couldn't decide between two pictures from my wanderings.



seven - a favorite place

how i love finding nature misplaced in the city. surrounded by concrete and little sunshine a healthy evergreen. discovering little quiet corners within the vast rushing city is what i seek.

2 comments:

  1. Love love love getting to see photos of your travels!
    What is the picture of in 'dark?' It's beautiful.

    And I agree fully about the romantic train.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dark - at Blue River, surrounded by mountains, a lit up windsock and an engineer slowly making his way towards the train.

    ReplyDelete