October 7, 2010

Nursing Mom Photo Project

I am starting a photo series this winter about nursing and specifically the reality of nursing moms in the workplace. Not making a specific negative or political point but showing scenes of a nursing, working mom's life.

The idea for this series came as I was in uniform waiting to leave for work on the train, having our customary "last nurse" with my fifteen month old strapped into his car seat and me hurriedly leaning over him while looking out the back window. To create that shot in a beautiful way would document our ritual and reality. I then thought of other realities both positive and negative that are just a part of a nursing mom. Pumping milk in the bathroom during a break. Other times I've always had a room to go to and didn't have the negative feelings associated with actually nursing him in a bathroom, but still. This reality of sitting in the bathroom pumping milk all to continue this feeding connection with my child.

I have a few ideas for shots but would ideally like to create a series showing women's experiences. This is a collaboration more than anything as I will need photographers (I have a few in mind already but let me know if you are willing to lend skills) and models (depending on the scene either moms or more likely momma and child) who would be willing to work on the project this winter.

I also need ideas! If you are or have been a nursing mom in the workplace, send me in your experiences, your ideas... as detailed as possible. Tell me what's important about that moment, what you envision when you remember it, etc...

Thanks for thinking about sharing your insights. I really hope to hear from lots of mamas!

No comments:

Post a Comment