April 2, 2011

to family

i saw my sister tonight bright and glowing, hair curling (not a usual thing for those who know the lovely Le, who began straightening her hair at fourteen and doesn't often let it flow). A gorgeous glowing mane of curls welcomed us in from chill april air to a brightly lit living room, full curved baby growing self standing there. She just looked so relaxed, fresh faced and happy in a house space with her man, getting things ready for the babe to come. And in a large, now snug tee she looked so full and gorgeously round already you wonder how big she will be in three months!

i will become an aunty through her, a different experience than being aunty to chris' niece and nephews... Especially through a sister and one who although we cycle in and out of close contact have always had an important connection and ability to talk about anything. And a close cousin for jude. Her original due date had been his same birthday plus two years! We do have an interesting habit of clustering birthdays in my family...

I am Nov 24 and my mom Nov 25
Le and my dad share a Feb 10
Marc and Mimi obviously are twinned on July 26

My bro Gabe the only one without a birthday partner... and born on a friday the 13th no less! We would tease him for it, the bad luck birthday and all alone as well while secretly craving a birthday that didn't always result in shared cake and attention. My mother early in my lifetime decided one year to celebrate hers in september so as to actually receive a celebration that was about her. But birthdays were always an important thing at home.

My parents - usually my mom - baked personalized cakes. A guitar for my dad, a burger, a train and a castle and bunny rabbits, a cat with licorice whiskers... My most amazing cake came during my Beatles obsession, oddly coinciding with a Marily Manson phase which may have been influenced by a lot of Circus and Hit Parader. Oh the 90s music mags, i miss them... I digress. my walls were covered with Nirvana and MM competing for space with my prior tween crush magazine photos, an entire outside wall with my favorite liverpool boys. The year my dad photocopied the Abbey Road cover, cut out and laminated each beatle then walked them across my birthday cake. Definitely the best cake i got. My brother wanted pies to the face one silly fourth grade or so year. he absolutely got his wish.

and soon we will have a new wish join us and create a family of it's own. A little family watching Labyrinth lounging one quiet friday night at home, unsorted baby clothes waiting and changes rushing them slowly...

2 comments:

  1. This is nice. I love family traditions, like special cakes. Your family sounds so much like a FAMILY:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree!! And I share a birthday with your family. I love the special cakes and have tried hard to do something for the boys since it was something I remember as a kid.

    ReplyDelete