September 18, 2010

an autumn day

(The face when you tell him no...)

I had the most fantastic fall (not fall) day today!! Since technically it's still September 18th and autumn doesn't start for another few days. We've had the misfortune of cold, autumn weather since late August. Weeks of cold rain left us with chill winds and nearly frost every night for the last couple weeks. Such a surprise after the great summer we had, and the expectation that September would be beautiful too... I didn't get nearly as many beach days and weekends at the trailer that I'd expected. I haven't even made it out to the cottage my parents purchased in August! Oh well, you can't foresee the weather.

I have already mourned those lost days of summer - we've had rubber boots and sweaters and scarves and layers on for weeks now. So today, after I got to sleep in (yay!) til 9, Jude and I got ready and headed out to the farmer's market. The cold morning air was just lifting by the time we arrived just after 10. The stands were full of vendors selling gourds, pumpkins, squash, potatoes, beets, preserves, mittens, fall flowers, fresh baking, etc etc. Not knowing whether I would get out again this year we picked up beets, bread, borage honey, crabapple jam, pepper jelly, Manitoba wool slippers for Jude, wooden animals, chicken pot pie, free range veal! (more on that later) and donuts. Mmmm, fresh homemade Hutterite donuts...Yum!

I almost prefer the farmer's market in the fall, I think. During the summer the aisles are jam packed with people, while this time there was room to breathe, shorter lines for everything, the produce and goods were just as delicious... You appreciate having somewhere to go in autumn since your choices are limited, whereas during the summer the multitudes of events going on make it hard to choose. We had lunch: pork buns, fries and juice, dancing in the grass to fiddler's music, chasing dogs and making friends at every turn.

 (His favorite thing in the world - reading books!)

I ran into Jenna, the mom who organized a nurse in at Pan Am Pool after she was told by a staff member not to nurse her daughter at the poolside. Jude and I attended the nurse in back in the spring. Her daughter Ocean is the same age but seems a quiet little miss. Quite the difference from my man who was running away in every direction! On my last trip I had the idea of doing a photo spread entitled "Portrait of a Working Mom", finding a photographer to collaborate with me on the two images I already know of, hearing ideas from other moms and staging beautiful shots to illustrate the reality of nursing and nursing in the workplace. Then maybe we could exhibit it somewhere and get some media exposure... A stroke of luck to run into her and exchange information so we can maybe work on this together during the winter! If any of you are interested in participating or have ideas, please let me know.

Anyway, we left around noon and all the fresh air and running around must have just exhausted my man. Although he's been battling a cold this last week and sleep has been elusive, he passed out in the car within minutes and slept through a stop at my parents. Three hour nap! I was so excited for him and also for me to have some time during the day to get things done. After he woke up, we snacked and spent a few minutes with Dad before he left for work. Rescued a bird who flew into our window, who just needed some time and warmth to get his bearings back. Walked the village, shopping and running into friends, played at the park and chased each other around the field. Rosy cheeked and runny nosed we came home to play some more in the yard before a soaking wet bath during which Jude threw cups full of water at me and laughed til he choked. Such a fantastic wonderful happy exciting day. So full of love! I hope your days have been equally joy filled.




No comments:

Post a Comment