September 18, 2010

piano stuff

I am getting close to sending out invitations for the concert I'm putting on in November. The last couple months I've had ups and downs, there has been picking the set list, practicing, not liking the second set and changing the list, practicing, doubts, arrangements for piano tuning and guest lists, excitement, more doubts, still waiting for the book I ordered 6 weeks ago to arrive from the UK (luckily I photocopied nearly the entire book from the library in anticipation of this) and so on...

I knew it would involve lots of work to get myself good enough to play in front of an audience. Some pieces are easier than others and there are still a few that will require some intense work to get them up to par. The interesting thing is that my mistakes are more noticeable now that I am better. Chris mentioned that the other night while I went through and did a fantastic job on one of my favorite pieces. I was gloating afterwards and telling myself what a great job I did (positive reinforcement is always the way to go!) and he pointed out that my mistakes were quite obvious. Of course they are! When the whole piece sounded a little shoddy and thrown together, it was easy to gloss over slips. But when the whole piece sounds beautiful, one wrong note or missed note or unexpected pause sounds terribly obvious. At least overall I'm improving and I hope to have most of these corrected before the show. My non-musical friends will likely not notice and my musical ones... will hopefully forgive me!!

All said, I'm super excited to be able to put this on. There's still a fair bit of work to do but it's coming together. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. I'm in ur blogz, expressin' my interests in attending this event!

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. lady, you are amongst the guests! I finished invites tonight and really really hope to get them sent out before I leave tomorrow night. Although it may be difficult. we'll see.

    ReplyDelete