June 4, 2010

early june reflections

We went to Great Woods for a couple family days together. So nice to get away and forget the list left at home and it was rejuvenating. Although the babe has continued his cycle of popping a new tooth every few days he was in good spirits. Apart from a split lip on the wood deck after he stood up without support but oddly lost his balance coming down, he played in the sandbox exploring freely into grass sampling mud holes and noticing all every bug. Thursday brought ice cream at Beausejour Ice Cream parlour sampling Orange-dipped Vanilla soft serve (Creamsicle anyone?) and chocolate-dipped rolled toasted coconut Twist cone (which was a second choice, as they sadly no longer have coconut dip). Jude loved the cold ice cream on his sore gums and kept looking at Papa for more, open mouth big eyes.



Tonight we're home, while Chris and Jamie play Magic in dim light, hearing "what I'm gonna do it to tap these 10, target player puts x cards from his library into his graveyard and I gain that much life. Ha, I killed the Solarium before it's even out. and, I'm done!" "that's ok, I have more than one Solarium you know" while listening to Final Fantasy - Many Lives. The fantastic thing is when I looked up that link to add in here the first version that came up was from the concert Christel and I attended in Halifax! We were sitting on the ground in front of the first pews and how fantastic was that concert. Heard another great artist, Ken Reaume, there although I haven't heard of him doing other things.

Owen Pallett - Final Fantasy


We saw great musiciens on that trip... went to Baba's with my couchsurfer friend Vanessa on a whim and caught a couple really greats sets there too with dressed up Charlottetown hipsters tearing up the tiny dancefloor attic room bar no more than 60 ppl max could pack in. Reminded me vaguely of the old Osborne Village Red Herring though in what way I couldn't say... the giant wall painting, tiny smoking patio out the back door, sneaking downstairs to light up so the smell wouldn't tip off. We came to see the main act but first walked in to this I See Rowboats wild violining, energetic rush at the front of the room - no stage, just all gear piled at the front of the room.


I caught them a few days later on their home turf of Halifax - couldn't catch a ride with the band since I needed to be there a day earlier than they'd arrive after pulling another show in New Brunswick. Traded that possible adventure for getting stuck at Confederation Bridge with high winds preventing the large bus from crossing. Caught a ride in the shuttle van to the parking lot on the other side and had to hitchhike out of the empty parking lot with nothing around that is the New Brunswick side dropoff. 


We had such a great trip. I'll write down some more remembrances another time along with pictures.

For now we're home nestled down with our definite uncool selves.

No comments:

Post a Comment